Has anyone still got an old ntlworld dialup type account
Mike
2007-11-30 23:29:12 UTC
Well I've been pestering my Mrs for ages to start switching her emails
over to a new domain but she was reluctant to do so. Now they are
closing the service down in March 2008 (now referred to as Freedom)

Now recently I had to contact nominet about my domain as I had not
registered my domain with them. They contacted me on the email address
I first contacted them on, which was my ntlworl.com address

If there are any other situations like that I am wondering what will
happen to all those old ntlworld.com addresses? I assume new ones will
be called virgin or something, but I assume at some point all the
ntlworld.com will get lost in the ether, or will they allow us to
collect the POP3 mail for some time, as I guess for some people 3 months
will not be enough time to switch everything over.

I'm not interested in their broadband replacement as I am in a contract
with another ISP (Orange). It gets used mainly when the broadband goes
down and is free for me providing I make £15 worth of calls on the
system, so I can see why they are closing it down
Mike News
Beaker
2007-12-02 08:43:26 UTC
Post by Mike
If there are any other situations like that I am wondering what will
happen to all those old ntlworld.com addresses? I assume new ones will
be called virgin or something, but I assume at some point all the
ntlworld.com will get lost in the ether, or will they allow us to
collect the POP3 mail for some time, as I guess for some people 3 months
will not be enough time to switch everything over.
Hi Mike,

I believe the ntlworld.com addresses will last indefinitely. However, if
they do get rid, I'm sure we'll be given plenty of notice.

In the meantime, why not give gmail(googlemail) a try? I've been using it
for 3 years now, with no problems.
--
Beaker
Muppet Labs. Inc.
I'm not the only Muppet in here!
Mike
2007-12-02 11:21:27 UTC
Post by Beaker
I believe the ntlworld.com addresses will last indefinitely. However, if
they do get rid, I'm sure we'll be given plenty of notice.
OK. I wasn't too sure if the closure of freedom in March 2008 would
mean the email addresses would close down too. I assume the account
panel where I maintain my email addresses would go down too. I will
give them a call on Monday.
Post by Beaker
In the meantime, why not give gmail(googlemail) a try? I've been using it
for 3 years now, with no problems.
I would but my email client does not directly support the SSL connection
required for POP3 collection. For me I have my own domain. I just one
for the Mrs now (she wants 3 LOL)
--
Mike News